I recently had a DNA profile performed on Eska by a company called Animal DNA Diagnostics who are based in Cambridge.
DNA profiling can:
• Identify potential breeding stock carrying specific recessive inherited diseases
• Definitively diagnose animals suspected of suffering from a specific inherited disease
• Identify animals which carry hidden trait genes, such as coat colour or hair type
• Perform parentage verification for family groups, where this is in doubt
• Perform parentage verification for breed registries
The process is quite straight forward to perform, they post you out a sample-collecting kit:
You then take the kit to your vet who swabbed the inside of Eska’s cheek to collect skin cells. The vet also stamps the relevant paperwork to confirm Eska is who she says she is and that her microchip number and KC registration numbers are correct.
The samples then get sent off to a laboratory and the results come back via email and hard copy in the post.
The results, while I don’t claim to fully understand them, certainly look impressive!
And the actual DNA profile itself:
Please don’t clone Eska using this data